Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yet Another Night of Frequent Peeing

Nope, I’m still not in labor. The last few weeks have been amusing, though: I finally hit that fabled “pregnant women have to pee a lot” point. I have been awake to use the bathroom about as frequently as I will soon be awake nursing. I guess it’s a good warm-up for the real deal. I’m pleased to find that I can switch between awake and asleep with that frequency and still wake up feeling refreshed. (Though I know when there is nursing involved, it’ll mean half the amount of sleep in addition to the interruptions, so I expect to be a zombie at first, like every new mother.)

The worst part about the night-time interruptions is maneuvering my oversized belly in and out of bed! Just flipping from one side to another makes me sore.

Training my replacement at work has been going exceptionally well. We started off with a lemon of a situation: since we hired him so quickly, there was no computer set up for him, nor even a desk. I had to hunt down a chair for him on the first day so that he could sit next to me at my station. Monday we ran through how to use the software, and yesterday I started a small landscape-building task. I was able to show him my work-flow, and periodically I let him take over the work while I either watched or took care of other tasks offline.

I have heard of hot-seat programming, but I have never heard of hot-seat level-building, and I only know of one oddball pair of professional illustrators who take turns working on the same piece of art. I’ll be damned if this isn’t a most efficient way to ramp up a new employee on both tools and creative techniques! It gives me the opportunity to catch his bad habits before they become bad habits. I am forced to explain everything that I do, and he is present to spot techniques which I am not entirely conscious of using. And since I am always being watched, I waste less time. Between the two of us, I may just finish my current task on time in addition to getting him trained.

No comments: