Tuesday, July 22, 2008

From Bouncy Ball to Golf Ball to Softball Here's the Pitch!

This whole 4cm thing has me more anxious than I'd like to admit. With the child birth class focusing on 5cm as the hard part I'm kind of going, er aren't we almost there? I mean when Michelle finally goes into labor am I going to have time to get her from work to home to the hospital?

The answer is almost assuredly yes, but that doesn't keep me from being anxious. The baby isn't even out yet and I'm already starting to worry about any number of things from financial to fumes. Being a super taster I have a super sense of smell, I just hope I don't end up as one of those youtube collections of dads gagging as they change diapers. I should say that I'm not worried in a sitting on the porch chain smoking kind of way, its just low grade wow I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my child's life I better get used to it worrying.

My Coworkers have been troopers as this low grade eternal worrying and high grade omg I'm about to become a dad worry have me a little on edge. It means when I bring up issues at work, I transfer just a little of my anxiety into those work issues and come off just a bit sharper than I should. It also means they have to put up with me telling crazy stories to release stress, but they handle it well. I suppose having a baby at the same time you're pushing to release isn't an ideal combination, but then again since when is life ideal.

I'm reminded by my own father's voice telling me, "If you change your wants into preferences you'll lead a much happier life." So while I would prefer for the baby to be here already, I'll just be happy for him to arrive health whenever he pleases.

I should say that it doesn't help that Michelle has been an absolute trooper throughout the pregnancy. I haven't had to make any midnight runs for mega cheery ice cream, and she's still at work and helping with chores around the house. I almost feel like her family has duped me, and in actuality Michelle's the result of arcane Russian experiments in the heart of Siberia to produce the ultimate mother. After hiking seven hundred miles after the collapse of the Soviet Union she then swam across the Bering Straits to freedom in the United States. Ya, something like that.

No comments: