Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gabe's Car Seat Haiku

I rage at restraint.
Shackled to the car I cry.
Can you not hear me?


Gabe cried the whole car ride home this evening. I have particular trouble with this because there isn't anything I can do to calm him down, and I really don't like to hear him in distress. Especially not for a half hour or more in a confined space. About twenty minutes into it I pulled over abruptly and let Michelle drive the rest of the way while I tried in vain to calm Gabe down.

Once we arrived home it became clear that our assessment that we didn't need to change his diaper before the ride home was wrong. His diaper was soaked and this clearly displeased him. To drive the point home after I had him all cleaned up and dried off he pissed all over my hand and the changing table.

During the bath tonight Gabe was practicing his new kissing sound. He would make a kissing sound or two, and I would in turn. This would make him smile and then he'd start the process over. It was adorable in the extreme. He's been working on his razz as well. He doesn't always get it right, but he's getting better at it.

He's upgraded to size 3 diapers and he's getting too long for the sleeper sacks we got him. They're supposed to be good until 9 months, but he's turning out long and lanky like his dad. It looks like we'll need to do another round of baby clothes shopping after the new year.

3 comments:

Father William said...

Gabe is so lucky to be born to such caring loving parents. Into every life frustrations appear and learning patience and waiting for the reward of a clean diaper for a few minutes can only build character. Love, Opa

Michelle Clay said...

Thank you Opa. :)

Anonymous said...

My 6 year old son is in 4T pants . . .

He will be swapping clothes with Gabe next year at this rate.