Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Minor Inconvenience

It’s been two months since I had Gabe. I had a urinary tract infection that required three rounds of antibiotics to clear up, and I’m going through a second round of plugged milk duct. I don’t need a doctor, I need a plumber!

All in all, though, I’m feeling great. The first plugged duct was alarming, because I realized that there was a golf-ball-sized knot inside of my breast. But judicious application of heating pad, breast pump, and hungry baby cleared it up over the course of a few days. This time around the clog was big enough that I needed to supplement Gabe’s diet with the frozen milk I’ve been saving, but it has cleared up faster.

Looking back at these things just serves to remind me how amazingly good a choice it was to read “What To Expect When Expecting” and “What To Expect the First Year”. These common ailments are covered in enough detail that when my hand first found that giant lump in a part of my anatomy where lumps are typically not supposed to be, I knew right at that moment what was up.

Now on this second round, I’m all “meh, whatever”.

Gabe’s new nickname is Mister Wiggles. When he is done eating and sleeping, his favorite place to be is on the floor where he can shake his booty, flail his limbs, and flex his fingers and toes. And of course, flirt with the ceiling fan. It’s like an adult-sized mobile up there on the ceiling, and at the lowest setting it cruises in slow, easy-on-the-eyes circles. While I’m in the kitchen he gets to watch the living-room fan, and when I need to fold laundry he gets to watch the one in the bedroom. It’s hours of fan-watching fun!

Gabe had settled into very predictable sleeping patterns: down at ten, up at two-thirty, down at four-thirty, up at six-thirty. So, of course, when I finally told Chris on Sunday that it was his turn to take a six-thirty shift, I couldn’t believe my eyes when Gabe woke us at *nine* thirty! Now his sleep patterns are all over the map again, but this time he is sleeping upwards of six hours at a time. All hail glorious sleep!

It’s ten minutes to Gabe’s former wake-up time. I wonder if he will continue to sleep. Let’s find out. . .

3 comments:

Helena said...

Just the past two weeks Jasper has been waking us up around 4-5am, 30 minutes or so before Keith has to get up in the morning, ughhhh!!! We walk into his room to find that he is STANDING in his crib, waiting for us to come rescue him!!! What does he want, not food...he wants to be in bed with mommy and daddy. As soon as his head hits the pillow in our bed, he immediately falls back to sleep. If I even attempt to move him back to his crib, it is the same fussiness all over again. I guess mommy and daddy's bed is always comforting.

Michelle Clay said...

Hahaha! Too funny! And you will get to laugh when it's our turn. :)

Crap, why can't I edit the blog today? That was supposed to say "two months", not "two weeks".

C4 said...

I needed my baby fix and while I was here I changed the weeks to months. Sigh, working late when there is a fun baby and mommy at home kind of sucks.