Saturday, October 4, 2008

Reestablishing Balance

Since Gabe has blessed us by extending the number of contiguous hours he sleeps at night, last night after putting him to bed, Chris and I were finally able to curl up together on the sofa for a couple of episodes of True Blood. Finally, grown-up time! And we were still able to get ample sleep afterwards. Perhaps life after baby is possible after all!

Today, we had our two babysitters-in-training over to watch Gabe while Chris and I puttered about in the yard. We popped back in now and then to offer pointers. The young ladies are both new at babysitting infants, but they have both taken some newfangled babysitting class (what a terrific idea!) and the two of them have demonstrated that they can be responsible and cool-headed enough to watch a baby.

Not only did Chris and I get to indulge in our gardening obsession at the same time, but it feels like we are finally a part of the community by giving the two girls a chance to try out some adult responsibilities. It’s got to be refreshing at twelve years old to be treated as an adult.

7 comments:

Scienter said...

Wow, I've only been gone for 2 weeks and he's changed so much!

I'm glad you and Chris are getting some "you" time. How is True Blood? I will admit that I read Twilight over vacation. :P I guess vampires are popular now that Harry Potter is over?

Michelle Clay said...

Hi Dori!
Yeah. . . unlike pets, babies constantly change. Oddly, this surprised me. :)

True Blood is awesome, and not just for the kinky sex scenes! It's a mite adult for the Potter crowd. ;) What is this Twilight you speak of?

Cheers!

Scienter said...

Twilight is a "young adult" angsty high school vampire book that is apparently all the rage. It was also one of the very few books in English I could find in Italy. So, I took the plunge. It's good mindless fluff, but the main character bugs me.

Michelle Clay said...

mmm, fluff! I may have to investigate!

Have you read "I Am Legend"? It's great.

Scienter said...

No, I haven't read it, but I saw the movie. I heard that the ending of the book is different (and better) though.

Michelle Clay said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard that it is very different from the book - and not very good. (I still want to see it, though.)

Helena said...

I too have been watching True Blood...I like it so far. Of course Dexter is my favorite, the season just started. Really, anything adult right now is a blessing! Jasper has discovered Noggin, a pre-school channel. He has fallen "in-love" with Blue's Clues :)

Danielle has recommended Twilight to me for months, just haven't had time. It will have to wait till Christmas to be on my to-read list. But she said it was a must-read. The movie, I think, is coming out this Christmas.