Monday, October 27, 2008

Off to a Very Good Start!

We couldn’t have asked for a better start to daycare. Gabe started out by sleeping through the night, which he hadn’t done in a week. Then he melted my nerves with smiles. After that, while being loaded into the car seat – an activity that usually causes him to cry – he giggled - and giggled some more, and then giggled some more. Chris was so ecstatic at getting giggles that he fell down and stood up again several times in a crazy funny monkey dance. The more he hopped, the more Gabe giggled.

Despite so obsessively packing every last potentially necessary item, I still managed to forget a critical piece of the breast pump. So, instead of just nursing Gabe over lunch, I also paid him a snack visit in the middle of the afternoon. That worked out so well that I may be able to do without pumping at work altogether.

I had feared that Gabe would be miserable with crying each time I visited, but each time he had napped well and was ready to smile and eat.

During the second visit I got to watch the two teachers roll around on the floor with the four other infants they were watching. It was like watching kittens play, seeing them wiggle, roll, and crawl about. It was reassuring to see the babies so happy – and also to see at just how good the teachers were with them. Those were professional baby-wranglers at work!

And on top of this, my coworkers are so excited to have me back that it feels like I’m going home again, and a wonderful woman in HR has been incredibly eager to help me get a room set up for pumping. Today downright gave me the warm fuzzies!

No comments: