Monday, October 13, 2008

The Power of Smiles


As most of you know Michelle and I work at Turbine, and as many of you know Moria is wrapping up. This has always been one of the hardest parts of a project for me, because its the part where you have to let go and accept the imperfections as they are. It has been even harder for me in this case as I'll likely not be on the live team to fix many of the issues that remain. I've been working late a bunch to try and get as much polish in while I can and tonight is no exception. I'm working extra late tonight so I can try and get more smile time the rest of the week with Gabe. The last month I've often made it home in time to give Gabe a bottle and help put him to bed, but little more. If you're wondering why I'm typing this, it is through the miracle of building data in the background making an 'real' work difficult.

The time I do get to spend with him has been getting more and more enjoyable though. His personality is showing through more and more, and its pretty darn sweet. After all, anyone who can be best friends with a fan has to have some level of empathy;) I'm getting better and better at making him smile too. Those are the moments that make the day's cares melt away in a little shining rainbow of hope and joy. Its like at any moment Care Bears are going to spawn into the room and hit me with a Care Bear stare while pony unicorns prance about the room farting butterflies and fresh flowers. I bet you didn't know that the day's cares are what you'll actually find at the end of a rainbow. It is why I don't suggest chasing one down.

There are, of course, moments when Gabe drives me crazy. Being the barren one, not having a boob to pop him on, there can be times when there's nothing I can do to soothe him. Having to thaw a bottle of frozen breast milk or mix a bottle is a slow way to answer his calls of...

'Feed me now you insolent man. It isn't rocket science! I stick out tongue you insert food through the aperture which the tongue sticks through. Look it up on wikipedia for god sakes if you must you techno-idiot-savant. Are you simply incapable of even the most basic interactions with one such as I!' - Gabe

At least that's what it feels like he's saying. Still having pictures like this one definitely helps make the day run by that much faster when I get to see it on my desktop.

1 comment:

Michelle Clay said...

Haha! Come home Chris! The stinky baby has pooped and been washed, and now smells sweet, and he was so worn out from playing with Cappy that he fell asleep before finishing his bottle.