Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gabe Says “Oh!”

Gabe is working on his first vowel: o. He sometimes says it several times during a diaper-change. We sometimes have a conversation of “ohs”. He also occasionally giggles – and I swear it’s a sound made of faerie hiccups and the singing of butterflies. It’s an amazing, wonderful sound.

Gabe continues to improve at tracking things with his eyes, and turning to look for the source of a sound. He has toppled over from his head-held-high position for Chris. And he gave one final performance of his hair-pulling stunt for Chris, before finally figuring out how to fondle his hair without yanking.

And it turns out the hair-pulling could have been worse – a friend’s baby apparently does the same stunt, but instead of pulling his own hair, during diaper changes the poor little fellow pulls his own balls!

I have become much more in tune with what Gabe fusses about – I can tell a tired cry from a wet cry a lot of the time, and so on. The I’m-in-poo-up-to-my-waist cry is particularly pitiful.

Gabe has had a few days on which he didn’t poop for two days, which alarmed me, but is apparently quite normal for breast-fed babies at this age. And twice now he has gone for three days when constipation slowed things down. Chris had the joy of catching the result of one of those affairs live on the changing table. He described it with such words as “soft-serve ice-cream” and “silly string”.

Gabe and I briefly had matching scratches on our noses from his claws. I continue to nibble them off when possible.

Although I tried to sabotage Gabe’s newly-established sleep schedule yesterday by napping with him too late and for too long, he still ended up sleeping during his regular hours last night. Thank you Gabe!

This weekend, weather permitting, we will be initiating a pair of new babysitters. They will be watching Gabe as Chris do some gardening together.

That’s all the news from here.

3 comments:

Helena said...

I have noticed that Jasper must have some sort of internal clock, because there are days when he literally misses naps sometimes for one reason or another. I assume that he would eventually go down, but sometimes he just misses them. He will simply skip a nap, bad for me as far as getting things done. I have learned that now that he is out and about some days with me, he will do his best to keep to his regular schedule, but sometimes he just decides that there is too much to miss from napping and decides to stay awake only to catch a second wind after the nap window has closed. Weird, I know!

On a side note, you have inspired me to start a blog for Jasper! Keith has been working on a webpage for him, but that has turned out to be more work that he wants to admit. So in the meantime, I think you guys are on the right track. I will send you the link as soon as I get it up and running! :)>

Helena said...

OK, here is the address for Jasper's blog http://boogababy.blogspot.com/

I will be trying in the next week, to catch up with photos...I have a ton!!!!

Michelle Clay said...

Awesome! (both the napping thing and the blog!) I'll be right there to have a look!