Tuesday, August 5, 2008

UTI

It’s just Chris and Gabe and myself now. I had the Baby Blues yesterday; or so I thought; it turns out, though, that I have a urinary tract infection. I’m guessing that was a contributor to my overall down feeling yesterday. I saw the doctor this morning and now have some yummy antibiotics to take. And she said that the infection is probably making me feel more rundown than I realize, which was a relief to hear, because even though I got a good six hours of sleep, I still feel deflated today.

Labor confirmed for me something useful: I have a high tolerance for pain. So it wasn’t a horrible feeling of ouchness that made me call the doctor yesterday, but just an awareness of some uncomfortable sensations that hadn’t been there before. I’m glad I called when I did, because by this point I’m saying “ouch” when I stand up or sit down.

A high pain tolerance is only useful if you don’t use it to ignore pain. Pain is information. In this case, it was telling me that something bad was up.

Gabe is waking up; time to nurse him. . .


Okay, Gabe is on “intermission” right now, which is what I’ve taken to calling his short nap time in the middle of each epic feeding. Gabe has approximately five wake/sleep cycles per each 24-hour period. He’ll alternate between eating and filling diapers while awake, plus a short nap. Then he’ll sleep between one and four hours. Blessedly for us, he goes for upwards of four hours of sleep between feedings at night.

Here’s Gabe and Dad on intermission:



And another cute picture from two days ago:



More cuteness!

4 comments:

Helena said...

You are doing a fabulous job...a I love getting updates from your blog!! Those baby blues will pass soon enough...damn hormones! Truth is, you have the most wonderful gift life can give you...a family! Hope your feeling better soon, xoxo

Helena

Anonymous said...

More unsolicited advice:

Your #2 priority is sleep.

Don't worry about the house. Don't worry about the garden. Don't worry about the dishes.
Don't worry about the laundry.

That can pile up while you focus on Gabe and getting sleep.

And any guests that come over can entertain themselves. You guys nap.

And I'll come over and help with any of the above any time you need, as long as you promise to nap and leave Gabe to entertain me.

rebeccafrog said...

Adorable pictures!

Your point about pain tolerance is well made. Ignoring pain is not what it's for. Having a high pain tolerance is useful for staying lucid until you can take care of whatever is causing your pain.

Michelle Clay said...

I love you all! *hugs* The baby blues have passed, and Chris and I are getting a reasonable amount of sleep most nights (and/or days). Walt, do come over sometime! :) Rebecca, one of these days I'm going to write a super looong post about labor, because it was such an educational experience, particularly with regards to pain.