Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mourning for a Whale

I love to joke about nursing, but I also find it to be deeply profound. The idea that this little being derives all of his sustenance, and all of his water, from my body – that humbles me. And it scares me. What if something should happen to me? Thank goodness for modern medicine: I may have a low opinion of formula in comparison to mom’s milk, but formula is a godsend in the face of starvation.

I cried when I read today that a baby humpback whale, not much older than Gabe, has been abandoned or separated from its mother. It was found in Sydney harbor, attempting to nurse from a yacht. Modern medicine has not invented formula for whales, so in all likelihood it will be dead soon.

This is going to haunt me for a while.

2 comments:

Helena said...

You know formula get a bad rap these days. We all as mothers know that breastmilk is the best for our babies and should surely all be well versed in the art of breastfeeding. If for anything the bondding time between mommy and baby. However, formula still has what those little boogers need believe it or not. Many of the formulas try to get as close to breast milk as they can with different nutrients and such. For those mothers that are not so fortunate to have time to stay home with thier little bundles of joy, formula can be a lifesvaer for thier little ones. Not to mention all the women who are just simply not capable of breastfeeding, due to cancer and such. Also, in my case I had a big baby that just simply did not seem to get all that he needed from me breastfeeding when he got to be about 2mo. old. As hard as it was for me to accept, because I really wanted to keep breastfeeding, formula filled up Jasper's belly better that I could. The disappointment in myself was shortly soothed by the knowledge that my little one was happy and full.

Michelle Clay said...

Helena, did the doctor confirm that Jasper wasn't thriving on breast milk? I'm curious, because Gabe tries to tell me every evening that I'm starving him to death, even though he is getting enough. ;D