Saturday, August 16, 2008

On My Breast Behavior

With the constant leakage of liquids and gasses, babies appear to be the root of all toilet humor. Along with that comes a completely different perspective on breasts. And I have to say, I’m more comfortable with my breasts being a functional part of my anatomy than I ever was with them being decorative.

Which helps, because, good lord, my breasts are gigantic now compared to what they used to be! When I drop crumbs, they fall right into my bra.

My breasts were the first part of me to get stretch marks during pregnancy. Between that and the blood vessels standing out under my pale skin, my bulging mammaries look rather frightening. I’ll refrain from posting photos. :P

At first with the nursing, it was unnerving, because I had no evidence that Gabe was actually getting anything out of me for all the work he was doing. But I was prepared for that: babies do lose weight after they are born, and milk isn’t properly produced until a few days after birth. Before the milk comes in, all the breasts produce is a tiny quantity of colostrum, which is a transparent stuff that helps prep the infant’s digestive system.

The first evidence I had that Gabe was getting enough real milk was when he spit up a teaspoon of it. That was a relief!

And now the reverse: I am producing such an abundance of milk that I have to wear absorbent pads, least I soak through yet another shirt. Apparently this leakage becomes less of a problem in subsequent pregnancies. Thank goodness for that.

There is so much humor inherent in being a human spigot. For one thing, I have accidentally *sprayed* milk in my son’s face on more than one occasion. And equipping and putting away a breast repeatedly for each feeding and changing cycle, while simultaneously holding a crying infant, results in just taking out one boob and then leaving it out while doing laps between the sofa and the changing table. I’m not looking forward to the day when I absent-mindedly answer the door with one boob hanging out.

Right from the start, I had named my breasts. The left one is “Hamburger” and the right one is “Milkshake”.

I’m grateful that I am not hampered with embarrassment about nursing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahah! Love the boob names!

Well, my boobies have been leaking since 20 weeks of preggors! (not tons, but enough to leave embarrassing stains on tee shirts at the most inappropriate times! But I least I know they are functioning!

Still waiting for me baby to get out! 11 days left ... fed up, want him out and want to sleep on my tummy!

Michelle Clay said...

Wow, I'm glad I didn't start leaking until after the baby was here!

You're almost there fooxoo!! If you haven't yet, make sure you get some photos of yourself before the baby arrives. :) They're fun to look at afterwards.

Good luck!!!