Friday, February 6, 2009

One Teeth Two Teeth, Sharp Teeth New Teeth. . .

Gabe stopped to yell repeatedly yesterday while I nursed him at the daycare. I guess that must have been right when his second tooth was breaking through.

He's been quite the trooper through this teething business. It’s a cruel joke that Nature plays on babies, having that nice, soft sense organ get perforated by sharp objects. It was so sweet and cute when he gummed my fingers before. Now, he is doomed to be scolded for biting. Cruel world! He hasn’t chomped my nipple yet, but I let him gnaw my finger today, and it’s like half a pair of scissors has taken up residence in there.

I would have expected teething to wake Gabe up during the night, but he has been sleeping pretty much straight through. And he continues to be astoundingly easy to put to bed at night – just tuck him in and kiss him good night. Almost always, he is asleep in five minutes. Just now he went through his happy chatty sequence, where, in some untranslated baby language, he gave a diminishing dissertation on something profound. On other nights, while nodding off he has conducted orchestras.

Now if only he would carry over his easy-to-sleep habits to naptime! The poor folks at daycare spend upwards of an hour getting him down, twice a day – and they are lucky if he sleeps more than half an hour. Today, Cathy tried giving him banana mixed with rice cereal to see if that would help him sleep better. The results seem positive: an hour-plus nap, and he ate over half a jar!

Tonight is Chris’ night for uninterrupted zombie-killing, but I’ve got a couple of hours before I will need to sleep, so I get to play some Fallout 3 myself. Hooray!

No comments: